History of the Stable Block
The large Stable Block at Burton Constable was built in 1770 to the
designs of the architect Timothy Lightoler, replacing an Elizabethan
stable block that stood to the north-east corner of the main house. By
the 19th century, the Stables contained four carriage houses, with
stalls for hunters in the north block and stalls for 'old hack horses'
and 'draught horses' in the, less-grand, southern block. The attic
levels contained bedrooms for grooms and servants.
The Clifford Constables were passionate about hunting, and in 1842 the
large indoor Riding School was built at a cost of £981-4s-2d. A row of
loose boxes was also added to the east side of the Riding School to
accommodate extra horses (now demolished) and a 'cow house' to the west
side (now the Tea Room).