How Burton Constable Came to Be
A great deal about Burton Constable's history can be glimpsed simply in the names it has held. Burton is an Anglian name meaning a fortified settlement, a reference to the 11th Century Pele Tower that makes up the oldest part of the historic hall. In the Domesday Book of 1086 it was renamed Santriburtone, before changing once again to Erneburgh Burton when the tenant Erneburga married Ulbert, Constable for Count of Aumale. Their son was named Robert Constable I. with the names being joined to form the modern form of Burton Constable in the mid 13th century.
While isolated but defensible pele towers are fairly common further north in the Scottish borders, those further south tend to have had something there to defend. In this case, that something was a small village made up of small houses built of mud and wood (which, anyone who has ever read the tale of the three little pigs will know, requires quite some defending from big bad wolves).
The precise layout of this village is uncertain, and is likely to have fluctuated a great deal over time - the benefit of houses made from raw natural materials is that they do lend themselves to reactive shifts in purpose and design! It is likely that the administrative centre of the village was to the south of the site, nearest the hall, and that the houses would have been set out along long trackways.
While the Domesday Book of 1086 only records 1 household here, comprised of men-at-arms and therefore presumably relating to the Constables themselves, we do know that those recording the information in that book had rather varying attitudes when it came to recording the peasants who lived on these large estates - and occasionally didn't feel they were worth mentioning at all. As the Book also records 5 carucates of land here (a unit relating largely to how many teams of oxen would be required to plough it, and equating to c. 600 acres), it could be expected to have supported around 40 families.