ORANGERY

The Orangery is a fabulous example of an 18th century hothouse. Once used for growing exotic fruits for the Constable family's dining table, it now makes a fantastic spot for picnics, relaxing in the sunshine and family games on the lawn.

History of The Orangery

The Orangery was completed to the designs of Thomas Atkinson with artificial stone ornament supplied by Mrs Eleanor Coade (1733-1821) in 1782 at a cost of £83-18s-7d. The Coadestone comprises numerous acanthus leaves on the frieze, decorative and figurative plaques on the façade, together with a series of figures, urns and pineapples on the parapet. Restoration of the Orangery building and its important collection of sculptural ornament was completed in 2013.

Did you know?

The Burton Constable Whale is featured in Herman Melville's famous novel Moby Dick. 

Today the Burton Constable Whale is nicknamed 'Constable Moby'

 
heritage lottery fund natural england art fund Trip Advisor welcome to Yorkshire
Historic Houses Association
heritage lottery fund natural england art fund Trip Advisor welcome to Yorkshire Historic Houses Association