History of the Gardens
There is early evidence of formal gardens close to the house in a document of 1610, when the Dowager Lady Margaret Constable was given access to ‘two litle gardens adjoyneinge upon and lieing near unto the Northe Tower and one parcell of ground called North garth adjoyn. upon the aforesaid gardens.’
In 1715 considerable work was undertaken for William, 4th Viscount Dunbar in levelling land for new gardens. It seems likely that a lawn was created at this time on the west front, and to the north a grove containing a geometrical arrangement of paths.