STAIRCASE HALL

In the Elizabethan house, there was first a modest staircase leading from the Great Hall to the Great Chamber above the present Dining Room. Following completion of the Long Gallery, a more elaborate staircase was required to provide access to various areas of the upper floor. The present cantilevered staircase was designed by Timothy Lightoler in the 1760s. The candle fittings on the handrail are a rare survival from this period, although the engraved glass candle-shades were fitted in 1838.

The present bright-yellow colour scheme, which was chosen by the late Gay Chichester Constable, dates from 1972. Lightoler’s original scheme was for ‘drab’ (stone-coloured) painted walls. In 1797 the walls were repainted in French-grey by William Kipling at a cost of £6.15.8. This blue-grey colour would have provided an ideal background for the numerous gilt-framed paintings that hung in the room. The life-size plaster figures of Flora and Livia Augusta are by the sculptor John Cheere and were supplied in 1765 at 10 guineas apiece.

Did you know?
Over 80 different species of birds have been spotted at Burton Constable, from the smallest British bird, the Goldcrest, to large birds of prey such as Buzzards and Barn Owls
 
heritage lottery fund natural england art fund Trip Advisor welcome to Yorkshire
Historic Houses Association
heritage lottery fund natural england art fund Trip Advisor welcome to Yorkshire Historic Houses Association